- Meditate on Christ – Direction 1: “Be much in contemplation of Christ.”
Your first priority is to meditate on Christ. Make time each day to dwell on Him. Consider who He is, what He has done, and what He is doing for you.
- Study about Christ – Direction 2: “Be much in reading and studying the Scriptures.”
The Bible is God’s Word to you. It is where you’ll find everything you need to know about your great Lord and Savior.
- Pray for Love – Direction 3: “Be much in prayer to God for this love.”
Jesus said, “How much more shall your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him” (Matt. 7:11).
- Lean on Christ – Direction 4: “Get much faith.”
This goes hand in hand with prayer. The writer of Hebrews said, “Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” (Heb. 11:1).
- Be Filled with the Spirit – Direction 5: “Labor for much of the light of the Spirit.”
The only way to truly love Christ is to “be filled with the Spirit” (Eph. 5:18).
- Make Your Salvation Sure – Direction 6: “Labor for clear evidences of His love unto you. The full, well-grounded persuasions of Christâ€™s love to you will, above all, heighten your love to Christ.”
If you are a true Christian, Christ loves you. But if you lack the assurance of your salvation, examine your life to make sure you are saved.
- Live in Obedience – Direction 7: “Get much hatred of sin and, accordingly, watch, pray, strive, and fight against sin as the worst of evils, as that which so much displeases your Lord.”
When you do sin, go to the Lord and confess it so you can experience the joy of restoration.
- Follow Those Who Love Christ – Direction 8: “Associate yourselves most with those that have most love unto Christ.”
Simply stated, follow godly examples.
- Pursue Love – Direction 9: “Be much in exercise of this love; hereby it is increased and heightened.”
This last principle takes you back to the beginning. If you want more love for Christ, pursue Him by practicing each of these every day. In every activity, in every contact, and in every thought, make Christ your focus.
Resource: How can I love Christ more?
by John MacArthur